Kernel source unavailable...

The LG Optimus M (MS690) android phone sold by MetroPCS uses the Linux
Kernel.  As far as I can tell, they don't make the source available.

If I am not mistaken, I need the source tree they used, in order for me to
compile the tun.ko kernel module, which is required for certain types of
VPN.  I have been trying unsuccessfully to compile this module using the
generic kernel source.  Sometimes I get a tun.ko output file, but when I
insmod or modprobe that module, it always fails the "version magic" and the
module won't load.

In the LG support forums, I see some other person who has been requesting
the linux kernel source from them, unsuccessfully.  I attempted to contact
LG myself, but their support site is failing to accept the support request.
Actually, after repeated attempts, I managed to get a message through.  So
maybe they will respond.

On GNU.org, it says, report violations to the copyright holder.  And when I
look in the kernel source, of course the copyright holder of the linux
kernel is various.  Linus, RedHat, and every major corporation in the
history of the world.  (There are even a few dozen files copyright
Microsoft.)

So anyway, any advice?

I'd love it if somebody told me "You're doing it wrong.  If you just do
_____ then the version magic will be fixed."

Cuz despite legal requirements, I see the brute force method as being likely
a waste of time.