Kernel source unavailable...

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 1:12 AM, Jarod Wilson <jarod-ajLrJawYSntWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On May 4, 2011, at 1:02 AM, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
>
>> The LG Optimus M (MS690) android phone sold by MetroPCS uses the Linux
>> Kernel. ?As far as I can tell, they don't make the source available.
>
> If its running Android, perhaps Google more or less already takes care
> of that?
>
> http://android.git.kernel.org/

LG or MetroPCS may have changed something.    Not to mention the
'which' version question even if one of the versions available from Google
is the right one.

Legally, everything I've ever read says that whoever gave you
a binary licensed under the GPL is responsible for making a direct
offer for the source.
Not just passing it off to someone else not even involved in the
binary distribution.
If this wasn't the case then RedHat could just point at kernel.org for
the kernel
sources...

As an example, there was a case filed back in 2009 where Best Buy and
a host of manufacturers were sued for violating the GPL on their use
of BusyBox software.  From what I can tell, the suit is ongoing with a
number of manufacturer's having settled:

http://www.softwarefreedom.org/news/2010/jun/07/motion-against-westinghouse-digital-electronics-gp/

Bill Bogstad