Kernel source unavailable...

On 5/4/11 2:47 AM, Bill Bogstad wrote:
> On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 1:12 AM, Jarod Wilson <jarod-ajLrJawYSntWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> On May 4, 2011, at 1:02 AM, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
<snip>
> Legally, everything I've ever read says that whoever gave you
> a binary licensed under the GPL is responsible for making a direct
> offer for the source.
> Not just passing it off to someone else not even involved in the
> binary distribution.

I don't believe that's a true statement.  They simply have to show where
the source can be obtained.  The third party is not responsible for
providing the source for you but you are responsible for making sure
that a copy is available.  If the third party no longer makes it
available then it's your job to provide another avenue.  See 6(d) of the
GPLv3

tom

--
| tmclaugh at sdf.lonestar.org                 tmclaugh at FreeBSD.org |