ubuntu 11.04 problems

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 11:12 AM, dan moylan <jdm-LPA1KyJyIuz1P9xLtpHBDw at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> tiring of this, i downloaded 11.04, burned a disk, and
> started a reinstall.  when i got to the repartitioning
> screen, i started to recreate my previous partitions.
> i was able to set up / and /home, but when i tried to define
> /wrk0, i was only given the options on the pull-down screen
> (/, /home, etc) and was totally unable to enter any text
> into the box.  %$#!@*^?.
>
> what next?

Ubuntu's installer will not let you type in arbitrary mount points for
existing partitions. Strangely, Kubuntu's installer does. Not sure if this
was just an oversight or a conscious decision to make them different. In any
event, you can always modify fstab after the install to get your mount back.

Regarding your original problem with login, did you check the logs?
Xorg.0.log or the GDM log might contain some insight.