ubuntu 11.04 problems

nuno almeida wrote:
> On 05/05/2011 11:12 AM, dan moylan wrote:
> > as root i did an adduser mem (wife) and rebooted.  again
> > trying moylan, i was returned to the loging screen.  trying
> > mem, it went off into never never land.  rebooted and went
> > back in as root, all ok.

> Is your home partition full or do you have quotas set up and it's
> full/grace period expired? Sometimes that can be the reason for these
> "strange" errors, as you can't write to the disk. One other thing to
> check is if the uid/guid are correct.

/home/moylan is 56 0.000000ull, no quotas that i know of, uid/guid look
fine.

Rob Hasselbaum wrote:
> On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 11:12 AM, dan moylan <jdm-LPA1KyJyIuz1P9xLtpHBDw at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > tiring of this, i downloaded 11.04, burned a disk, and
> > started a reinstall.  when i got to the repartitioning
> > screen, i started to recreate my previous partitions.
> > i was able to set up / and /home, but when i tried to define
> > /wrk0, i was only given the options on the pull-down screen
> > (/, /home, etc) and was totally unable to enter any text
> > into the box.  %$#!@*^?.

> Ubuntu's installer will not let you type in arbitrary mount points for
> existing partitions. Strangely, Kubuntu's installer does. Not sure if this
> was just an oversight or a conscious decision to make them different. In any
> event, you can always modify fstab after the install to get your mount back.

actually ubuntu 10.10 (and all previous ones that i have used)
do allow one to type in arbitrary mount points.

> Regarding your original problem with login, did you check the logs?
> Xorg.0.log or the GDM log might contain some insight.

looked there but didn't see anything untoward (admittedly, i
am not overly familiar with those logs).

to continue the sad saga, i went ahead with the reinstall, and
successfully logged in as moylan, and mounted the last
three partitions via fstab, and created a root password.
however, when i rebooted, i was again unable to login as moylan.

i logged in as root and went about setting things up, except
the wireless wouldn't connect.  i'm very familiar with
network manager but couldn't get any connection.  i
previously had no problem getting connected after my initial
on-line upgrade.

somewhat discouraged, i reinstalled 10.10 with no problems,
and resolved to wait until the next install fest whereupon
jerry will show me that the problems really weren't.

thanks for all the advice,
ole dan

j. daniel moylan
84 harvard ave