tcl/tk question

On May 7, 2011, at 8:10 AM, Jerry Feldman wrote:

> set. If I run wish(1) it returns 0, but does print out a line of text,
> "Application initialization failed: " that I could check and switch to
> text mode. I'm looking for a better way of testing.

Don't go there.  Stick with the text interface.  Users hate it when you throw different-looking interfaces at them.  If something looks even slightly different from the familiar then they will panic and call you and demand that you fix it so that works the way it used to work.

Rant over.

Don't try.  Don't assume that "can't detect" is user error.  If DISPLAY is set then there is a running X server.  Trap errors and report them to users.  This is what X clients do.

--Rich P.