Ubuntu 11.04 and Unity

On 5/10/2011 1:45 AM, Tom Metro wrote:

> The Windows XP-style task bar that ships by default on the bottom of the
> window is a similar fail. The user spends most of the time interacting
> with the middle to the top of application windows, yet to switch
> applications the mouse has to travel to the bottom of the screen?

But the taskbar can be moved to the side of the screen quite trivially
on XP; all you have to do is drag it there. (On Windows 7 there is one
extra step; you have to unlock it first as the taskbar is locked by
default rather than unlocked.) And it behaves well there, and you then
have an environment with no top or bottom bars. If you do the same thing
with the GNOME task bar the task buttons don't display properly; if you
have only one or two they're ridiculously tall, if you have too many
they get carved up into little tiny things that are impossible to use
instead of being scrollable in batches as on Windows. The taskbar code
in GNOME 2 clearly wasn't designed to deal well with the case of having
the bar on the side of the screen.

I'm aware that there are better alternatives on Linux. I was limiting my
comments to what the stock versions of the popular window managers do,
with setting of preferences if necessary but without installing
additional software.