help desk software

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 12:36 PM, Derek Martin <invalid-yPs96gJSFQo51KKgMmcfiw at public.gmane.org>wrote:

> On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 10:47:12AM -0400, Dan Ritter wrote:
> > On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 10:00:26AM -0400, Eric Chadbourne wrote:
> > > Hi all.
> > >
> > > I need to create a tech support dept for a medium size non-profit.
>  What
> > > ticket software would you suggest?
> >
> > The only problem I've ever encountered using RT is getting
> > people to use it when they've never used ticketing software
> > before.
>
> This is helped somewhat by using RT's e-mail interface... if you can
> get them to send e-mail to a group address instead of to individual
> humans, that solves a lot of that problem.  You can never solve it
> entirely though... and some people resist even that much of a change.
>
> --
> Derek D. Martin    http://www.pizzashack.org/   GPG Key ID: 0xDFBEAD02
> -=-=-=-=-
> This message is posted from an invalid address.  Replying to it will result
> in
> undeliverable mail due to spam prevention.  Sorry for the inconvenience.

I've learned that there are always some people who want nothing to do with
ticket systems.  The way I got around this was by explaining to them that a
sysadmin's time has to be justified and this was what management wanted to
justify how we spent our time.  I'll go ahead and start to work on your
issue, but as soon as you get back to your desk I need a ticket submitted.
 I also used the ticket system as a queue for what takes priority over other
things and used it to assign tasks to other sysadmins.  It was also helpful
for rotating who's oncall and who should handle the weekly support tasks.

Anyway, you start to learn who will send a ticket in and who won't.  For
those who won't I tell them that since they continuously forget to submit a
ticket, then their issue will have to wait until they "have the time" to
submit one.  They learn real quick.

-matt