Ubuntu 11.04 and Unity

On 05/10/2011 11:17 AM, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> Another pro to consider: menus aren't duplicated needlessly
> across multiple instances of the same program. Part of this has
> to do with how processes are launch in, say, gnome, vs. in Mac
> OS X. Two gnome terminal windows == two different applications,
> each with its own menu[*]. Two Terminal terminal windows on OS X
> is two windows of the same application. One menu bar instead of
> two. Now add a bunch more terminal windows and consider which
> one makes better use of screen real estate.

That would be more compelling if the major terminal programs
(gnome-terminal, konsole) hadn't taken a tip from Powershell and started
supporting tabbed instances.  I only ever start one instance of
gnome-terminal, then ctrl-shift-t until have my workspace.  Or just turn
off the menu bar (since I never use it on terminals anyway).

> Regardless of desktop OS and menu location, keyboard shortcuts and
> contextual menus ftw. At least in my case, I rarely ever have to
> go to the menu bar on any OS.

Whole-heartedly agree for terminal-like applications.  Some apps (gimp?)
lend themselves to much heavier menu use.  Maybe I'm just not very
proficient in gimp, but I imagine it (or any other full-featured
image-manipulation program) would be a PITA to use with MacOS-style menus...

Matt