Open source replace MS Sharepoint

> From: discuss-bounces-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org [mailto:discuss-bounces-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org] On Behalf
> Of Jerry Feldman
>
> On 05/23/2011 03:37 PM, Dave Peters wrote:
> > I am looking for open source to replace Microsoft Sharepoint. Any
> suggestions?
> >
> There are a number of alternatives, such as Drupal. I think if you
> describe more of what you want to do. For instance, PHPBB3 is an
> excellent forum software.

Egads.

To say "replace sharepoint" is like saying "replace java."  Yes there are a
bunch of products out there that overlap functionality in some way or
another, but it's really a big framework on which your organization may have
developed any type of infrastructure.

If you don't have sharepoint already in production and you want some
alternative in order to check of a "build sharepoint infrastructure"
checkbox from some to-do list...  Then there are a lot of products to
consider.  Drupal, Alfresco, Confluence, Jira, to name a few.  It's all a
question of what you want to accomplish.

For what it's worth, I recently build a phpbb site, and I would give it a
thumbs down.  Yeah it's ok for some things, but it's showing its age
nowadays.  I would use them as an example of how to write unmodular
inflexible software, unlike drupal.  I would say if you want forums, the
alternatives I would steer you toward are vbulletin, xenforo, IP.Board.