[Discuss] firefox 4 is a memory hog

On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 9:17 AM, Matthew Gillen <me at mattgillen.net> wrote:

> I've noticed lately that when I unlock my gnome3 session after being
> gone for a while (several hours), it takes forever to get me back to a
> useable desktop.  I initially was blaming gnome-shell, but it appears
> the problem is actually firefox forcing the whole system into swap.
>
> Firefox was using 60% of memory.  Killing it and reloading the same set
> of tabs makes it use 6.3% of memory (as reported by 'top').  I don't
> think it's a particular web page that is going screwy, because it
> happens at work and at home, and my set of tabs are completely different
> (okay, fine, I use google.com in both environments...)
>
> Is anyone else seeing this kind of runaway memory usage?
>
> Matt

You could try Memory Fox.  Its an addon for Firefox.  I have had decent
success with it.

HowToGeek.com had an interesting article on Firefox and its memory usage on
windows systems.
http://www.howtogeek.com/62301/htg-explains-do-firefox-memory-cleaners-actually-work/

Perhaps you could have the same success.