Relevance of PGP?

John Abreau wrote:
> As far as I'm concerned, using S/MIME means handing off control of
> who I trust to an unknown mix of government and corporate entities
> who have no vested interest in actually protecting my privacy.For the
> corporate entities involved, their only vested interest is short-term profit.

I'd like to see an option that uses the S/MIME functionality built-in to
mail clients with no or minimal modification, while using the PGP-style
distributed key mechanism.

Mark Woodward wrote:
> ...a VERY public key linked to your email address so that you can be
> sure that the mail you receive came from the person who's name is on
> it. That service has to be free and distributed. It could very well
> be a format where we send the public key with the mail, and cache the
> public key on your system.

So picture a hypothetical scenario in which desktop operating systems
come with a certificate management UI. The banks, in the same way they
mail you your ATM pin, also mail you a key fingerprint, along with
instructions to open your certificate manager and type it in.
Thereafter, any web or email contact with that vendor would have the
certificate validated against the fingerprint.

Even better if you can figure out how to make that fingerprint appear as
a readable pass phrase, rather than a string of random hex digits.

You'd need to either:
1. repeat the process every couple of years as certificates expire, or
2. fingerprint a subset of the certificate, and improve the revocation
infrastructure to mitigate treating compromised keys as valid.

Still, even with this, how does a non-technical user distinguish a site
or email from a validated source from all the other sources? For
example, a phish email from bankofamrica.com (note the typo) that has a
CA issued cert, but isn't your bank. I suppose we need highly visible
feedback in the web browser and email client indicating a verified cert,
which is what they've already done for extended validation certificates.

 -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA