Relevance of PGP?

On Jun 11, 2011, at 2:23 PM, Bill Ricker wrote:
> PGP ring of trust allows for non-centralized asynchronous auditable
> out-of-band context. If I exchange key prints in a meatspace signing
> party with John and he with you another day, I may decide that's
> sufficient reason to believe you actually exist and that that's your
> key, or not, at my choice.

Yup you're absolutely correct.  However, thats why it will never see widespread use - BLU folks aren't the average user and the average user will never jump through those kinds of hurdles.  PGP out of the box is a PIA, with some really neat features.  I've been doing some research, that at least I find interesting, to make it PGP useable; if I can ever get one of the papers published it may even make a neat talk.

Anthony