Fwd: Small Form Factor PCs

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 2:26 PM, Chris O'Connell <omegahalo-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>wrote:

> Yeah, sorry about the Windows question,  I figured I could tap into
> the knowledge of the group.  I recently purchased a pair of the Genesi
> Smarttops that run Ubuntu for another small "appliance" type project I'm
> creating.  I love Linux too, but sometimes it's not the right fit for every
> job/project.
>
> The Genesi boxes would be a perfect solution, except that due to the
> processor being ARM based I don't think I could install my OS of choice for
> this particular project.
>
> The name of the software is HomeSeer.  HomeSeer allows for the control of
> everything from light switches, thermometers, fans, electrical outlets,
> cameras, thermostats... etc, all through one central administration system.
>  My friend who has been experimenting with Homeseer says there are some
> Linux alternatives, but none work as well or as reliably as the Windows
> software.  There's been some talk about virtualizing this software, but IMO
> that's just one more thing to break.
>
> So again, sorry about asking for a Windows specific solution, but my
> question is really more about a small form factor than an operating system
> specific computer.
>
> Thanks for the feedback!  I'll check out the links you sent me.
>
> --Chris
>

> On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 2:17 PM, Mark Woodward <markw-FJ05HQ0HCKaWd6l5hS35sQ at public.gmane.org>
> wrote:
>
> >  On 06/13/2011 08:28 AM, Chris O'Connell wrote:
> >
> > 1)  This is something I would like to productize eventually.
> >
> > If this is so, an up-front investment in sing Linux will be make your
> life
> > much simpler.
> >
> >  2)  Preferably Windows XP or Windows 7.
> >

> > Ok, so it isn't too specifically Windows. Depending on I/O requirements
> it
> > may be possible to use Linux with Wine.
> >

> >  3)  That's what the home automation software runs on.  I didn't write
> it.
> >
> > Which software is it? Is it for X10 hardware or something else?
> >

> >  4)  I want something small with maybe 2GB ram, 16GB of storage, hard
> > wired 100MB ethernet (or more).  I want something prebuilt (IE, I don't
> want
> > to have to assemble myself).
> >
> > There are a lot of these systems available. The embedded market has some
> > keep and small PC type computers.
> >

> >  The FIT-PC seems to be pretty good, but it's price preloaded with
> Windows
> > on it ($500 is the cut off point).  This little start up project is going
> > cost me at least 1,000-1,200 with all the accessories.
> >

> > There are a lot of small systems available, here's two
> >

> http://www.amazon.com/Athlon-1-5GHz-Barebone-System-ZBOXHD-AD01/dp/B0043DMPTO
> >  http://www.mini-box.com/Car-PC-Automotive-Computing-Solutions
> >
> > Chris
> >

> > One last postscript. IMHO and this being a Linux/UNIX mailing list, you
> [...]

I picked up one of these a few month's back to replace one of my home
servers, it's been great.  Extremely quite and cool and it uses almost a
little power as my mac mini server.  I believe my mac mini server uses
around .3 watts and this uses around .5 (according to KillAWatt)

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/myaopen/MP45.html

Matthew Shields
Owner
BeanTown Host - Web Hosting, Domain Names, Dedicated Servers, Colocation,
Managed Services
www.beantownhost.com
www.sysadminvalley.com
www.jeeprally.com