Relevance of PGP?

On 06/14/2011 09:37 AM, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
> [...]

Right, and there are two problems with that:
 1) the list of root CA's that are trusted by default (e.g. by firefox),
is quite long
 2) /Any/ root CA getting compromised leads to the potential for /all/
communications to be compromised via man-in-the-middle attacks.

#2 isn't a problem with the S/MIME methodology in general, it's a
problem with how applications do their CA checking.  No application that
I know of allows you to say "trust this CA only for these domains".
This IMHO would make a lot of sense for email certificates, but it would
be very problematic for normal webserver certificates (to much burden on
the end-user).

> For the KGB or CIA, certainly SSL CA trust would not be acceptable.

If you frame the problem a little differently, it isn't true that SSL
isn't good enough for the gov't. US DoD is a huge user of X509
certificates.  Here's the rub: they have their own CAs.  If you use your
own CAs and don't use the 'standard' root CAs that get distributed w/
firefox et al, then SSL and S/MIME can be as trustworthy as your own CAs.