Migration Environment Survey (host profiling) HOWTO

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 2:37 AM, Greg Rundlett (freephile) <
greg-SfI3QVg0eaJl57MIdRCFDg at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> 3. What programming languages are utilized with your current
> website/applications? (Please check any/all that apply)
> PHP___
> ASP___
> Python___
> ASP.NET___
> Perl___
> DotNetNUKE___
>
> I know of no better tool for this job than David Wheeler's sloccount
> (http://www.dwheeler.com/sloccount/).  With sloccount, you get a
> complete analysis of the source code
>

> 4. What type, number and volume of databases are utilized with your
> current website/applications?
> MySQL ___
> MS-SQL___
> MS Access___
> Other (please
> define)__________________________________________________________________________
> No. of unique databases___
> No. of unique databases___
> No. of unique databases___
>
> Since we use Postgres, I can tell you how to quickly get the size of
> your database:
> login as the Postgres user to the db host
> enter the psql client
> use this query:
> SELECT pg_size_pretty(pg_database_size('my-database'));
>
> Greg Rundlett

2. Missing quite a few common languages, ie Java.

3. DotNetNuke is a framework not a language, but for a site survey they
could add a separate question asking about what frameworks are used.
PHP - CakePHP, Zend, CodeIgniter...
Perl - Catalyst...
Java - Spring, Strusts...
Python - Django, Pylons, TurboGears...
.NET - are there any?

Another category missing is which application/web servers are used?
Apache
Lighttpd
Nginx
Tomcat
GlassFish
Resin
.... and the list goes on

4. For MySQL you can use the following query
SELECT CONCAT(sum(ROUND(((DATA_LENGTH + INDEX_LENGTH - DATA_FREE) / 1024 /
1024),2))," MB") AS Size FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.TABLES where TABLE_SCHEMA
like '%YOUR_DB_NAME%' ;

Matthew Shields
Owner
BeanTown Host - Web Hosting, Domain Names, Dedicated Servers, Colocation,
Managed Services
www.beantownhost.com
www.sysadminvalley.com
www.jeeprally.com