[Discuss] Lost email?

On Thu, June 16, 2011 11:06 am, Tom Metro wrote:
> Derek Atkins wrote:
>> ...I'm not seeing any email retires from 6-12pm.
>
> Maybe it was all spam? :-)
>
> So you are judging that based on the original date headers in the emails
> you are receiving? And you are on multiple email lists that send a
> relatively steady flow of messages?

Yes, I get about 3-500 non-spam messages a day, generally pretty steadily.
 They are certainly steady in the 6-12pm time frame, as that's still only
6-9pm out in Cali.

HOWEVER, I just noticed that my webmail client is showing the date as time
received, not time sent.  So it's NOT showing the Date header, which I
thought it was.  I verified this due to one message that got stuck in my
spam folder.   once I freed it the Date header inside the message still
said 3am, but the Date list in the webmail message list said 6:45.

>> ...I thought smtp would retry on connection refused.
>
> Pretty much anything short of a 5xx permanent failure or a special case
> condition (like "MX loops back to me") ought to cause the sending MTA to
> queue the message for a later retry.
>
> Maybe you just need to wait longer? (Though by now you should be seeing
> at least some retries.)

It's going to be hard to tell if stuff is through right now because I
can't easily grep for the Date fields.  But I suspect stuff came through
by now.  If not, well, people should have received a bounce and retried...
 :)

>  -Tom

-derek