[Discuss] CentOS 6.0 finally passes QA testing

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 9:54 PM, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:
> On Jun 17, 2011, at 12:27 PM, John Abreau wrote:
>
>> Looks like CentOS 6.0 is finally being released. According to the QA calendar
>> at
>>
>> ? ?http://qaweb.dev.centos.org/qa/
>>
>> it's due to be pushed out to the download mirrors on Monday, and I assume
>> this means it should be generally available on Tuesday.
>
> Meanwhile, Red Hat has already released Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.1, so
> they're still more than six months behind, and won't be getting most of
> the the key security fixes that do go into the 6.1 errata update kernels.

I'm confused by this statement.  I realize that Red Hat is no longer
distributing kernel
source in such a way as to allow someone to easily determine what each
patch does.
I don't, however, see how this matters if all one wants to do is run
the 'same' kernel
as Red Hat.   The monolithic source for the entire Red Hat kernel
should still be available.
Is Red Hat actually going to distribute binary kernel objects for
which source code is
not available?  This seems like an obvious GPL violation to me.

Bill Bogstad