[Discuss] [**SPAM**] Positioning of wireless router

A few months back, I bought a Cisco Linksys E2000 router (replacing that
buggy Netgear unit.)  The E2000 is wedge/doorstop shaped and has two
holes on the bottom that would allow for vertical mounting on a wall.

Given the shape of the router with the antennas internal, would there be
any actual benefit to mounting or positioning the router vertically
instead of the current "flat" positioning?  As it is now, with two
floors between the laptop and the router, wicd reports (on the 5GHz
side) a signal strength that runs between 67 and 78%.  There are simply
too many other neighborhood routers on the 2.4GHz side that wicd picks
up (with all of them using any of channels 1, 6 or 11),  that I switched
the router to the 5GHz network to avoid all that interference.