[Discuss] Surprises at the June Supercomputing conference

On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 10:23 AM, Richard Pieri <richard.pieri at gmail.com> wrote:
> Betting the bank on [SPARC]. ?The x86 architecture is getting there for high-end server use, but it isn't there,

Are we reading the same tea leaves?
They're betting the bank on Exadata and Cloud.
Which is Exadata built with? Xeon, not Sparc.
Cloud is always x86, alas.

Oracle is rolling out some very sweet 'T3' servers (in Niagara line)
but they're small, massively multi-threaded multi-cored java engines
for scale-out Net-facing 'edge' niche, not old school 'high end'
servers for number crunching for corporate main data center.  And not
for C or Fortran.  Fujitsu is more interesting at High-end of SPARC64
-- and were before Oracle bought Sun. (The new #1 SPARC64 is Fujitsu,
not Oracle-Sun, no surprise.)

--
Bill
@n1vux bill.n1vux at gmail.com