[Discuss] strange behaviour

last night, running ubuntu 11.04 on acer d255e, i got a
pop-up window advising me that i was running out of disk
space.  sure enough, df told me that i was at 98% with less
that 1GB out of 40 available on /home.  so i went to /home,
but du -s showed only 21GB in use. ???  i shut down and went
to bed puzzled.

today, i fired up and df shows 21GB in use.

it may not be related, but yesterday i was struggling with
some bizarre behaviour of mysql, which allowed me to enter
rows with indices 0 1 3 4 5 into a table, but steadfastly
refused to enter the row with index 2.  today row 2 enters
fine.

does anyone have any suggestions as to what i may be
experiencing?

tia,
ole dan

j. daniel moylan