[Discuss] Good hosting service for web application

On 07/03/2011 10:46 AM, Glenn Hoffman wrote:
> I have a client for whom I have created a LAMP application running on
> a Linux box in their office. The machine has intermittent hardware
> problems and we'd like to replace it with a hosting service. Besides
> Apache, PHP and MySQL, I need Subversion and some facility for
> controlling access. Does anyone have a recommendation for an outfit
> that would provide this?

I am unbelievably ecstatic about http://www.hostgator.com.  I'm hosting
http://www.agilenewengland.org on there, and a few other websites.

- Their support is amazing 24/7 online chat that has been helpful every
time.
- The cheap account comes with "unlimited" everything, and yes they have
svn out of the box.
- You have pretty much all of Linux (CentOS) at your disposal.  You can
set up cron jobs, ssh in, use mysqldump to back up your databases
automatically, and PHPMyAdmin for puttering with them.
- Excellent control panel, including one-click install of about two
dozen web apps.
- Sane terms of service.  Basically, don't use it as a monster file
repository, don't host illegal stuff, no cron jobs every minute, etc.  Sane.
- They're in the process of setting up their own domain registry, for
one stop shopping.

If you do go with them there's prolly a referral bonus thing so let me
know, but that's not why I'm recommending them.

Lemme know if you have specific services