[Discuss] Small Linux server recommendation?

On 07/16/2011 10:19 AM, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
>> From: discuss-bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org [mailto:discuss-
>> bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org] On Behalf Of Jerry Feldman
>>
>> While Dell does make decent consumer grade
>> PCs, I still question their servers. The HP ProLiant (eg. Compaq) has a
>> long history of stability. The DL 380 is a real low end workhorse.
> About 10 years ago I thought Compaq servers were good.  But in the last 6
> years, I have consistently had the opposite experience from what Jerry
> describes here...  All the HP/Compaq servers and laptops that I've messed
> around with have been regretful experiences.
>
> I'm not saying Dell is the greatest thing on the face of the earth.  But as
> long as you keep 'em in warranty and don't stray too far outside of the
> supported OS platforms, they're what I usually prefer to use.

Our company is using HP DL 380 G7 systems for our vSphere systems. Not a
glitch. I think you have to separate laptops, desktops and servers.
There are also consumer grade and business grade laptops. For servers, I
would stick with HP, IBM, or Sun. I've also got several old Intel
whiteboxes that are all SuperMicro. Ours are well over 5 years old and
have been running 24x7 for most of that time. But, after the experience
with the 2 Dell servers that both quit under 3 years, I'll stick with
HP, IBM, and Sun.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix