[Discuss] Dell

On 07/17/2011 08:48 PM, Chris O'Connell wrote:
>  For those Windows users among us, there is a neato application called
> Dell OpenManage that allows full bios control, error reporting and
> configuration that can be accessed via the desktop.
>
> I'm not sure if these features are unique or somewhat standard for servers?

Most servers today have this remote feature. For instance,  HP has
Integrated Lights Out (ILO) that allows you to manage the server
remotely.. ILO has been around for a long time.

But, the bottom line on a lot of this is familiarity and personal
experience.  It's comical that in our computer room at work I have 8
servers, and the only one with ILO is our vSphere system that I don't
have root access to :-). Dan Stolts, President of Boston User Groups
owns Baystate Integrrated Technologies, and he has had a lot of success
with Dell servers.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix