No subject

--- 66.250.33.252 ping statistics ---
4 packets transmitted, 0 received, +4 errors, 100% loss, time 3006ms

[david at uni musicat]$ head /tmp/pingerr
[david at uni musicat]$

> $ /bin/ping -n -i 10 64.28.81.46 2>&1 | more

If you're putting this in a script you don't want to hang forever, use the -c
option (number of ping requests to send) and the -w option (maximum wait
time).

> That's all the output I got in over a minute.   The  stderr  messages
> didn't appear.  So I tried:

OK, how about forgetting the output and checking $?, which will be set to 0 if
the host was reachable, or 1 if it was not.

--
DDDD   David Kramer         david at thekramers.net       http://thekramers.net
DK KD