[Discuss] USB speeds

Two factors come immediately to mind, neither of which have anything to
do with the bus.

On Unix, file systems are mounted asynchronously by default.  I've seen
this cause horrible performance degradation on USB flash media.  Try
mounting sync instead.

You neglected to specify a block size so dd defaults to 512 byte blocks.
  This is horribly inefficient.  Try powers of 2 starting at 1MB to find
an optimal value.

--
Rich P.