[Discuss] drop box software

I'm getting a bit confused. I thought drop box was a service where one
could upload a file, give it a password of some sort, and then you sent
the password to someone else who could use it to grab the file.
typically needed for large files, (multi-gigabyte) which cannot be
e-mailed directly. After some time, the file gets deleted automatically.
Does this drop box like systems mentioned use repository in the back
end? I would assume it would just dump the file in some directory.