[Discuss] drop box software

It has an option for sharing files, but it's primary reason for living is to
be a personal repository available on multiple machines.

If you want to 'share a file' with someone else, they do not have to
subscribe to Dropbox.  Exact directions are avialable on
Dropbox.com ... the basics are, you make a 'public' directory, copy a file
into the directory, the get the 'url' of the file (I haven't
done it for a while).  Then you can email the 'url' to as many people as you
want.  To make the files private again, get it out of
your 'public directory'.  I don't remember if you can specify the name of
the directory or not.

There are other services that do act like you mention, upload it, it is
shared (password or not), with whomever, and eventually it
is deleted automatically.   But this is not Dropbox.