[Discuss] DIY yousendit (was RE: drop box software)

On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 7:40 PM, Edward Ned Harvey <blu at nedharvey.com>wrote:

> You can certainly use products that are online file managers...  But
> they're
> not very specifically purposed to achieving what you want...
>
> I know I revisit DIY Yousendit once every year or two, and so far I've
> never
> found anything that is quite as great as a barrel full of monkeys.  I still
> pay yousendit.  I know there are other non-free alternatives such as
> dilbertfiles etc.
>
> If you find a DIY Yousendit clone, please let me know.

We have a custom written web app for sharing files with customers where I
work.  It's probably 5 or so years old now but has been maintained and
improved somewhat over the years.  But I've been meaning to replace it with
a solution built around Drupal to move the organisation of files and access
controls to be project oriented rather than client oriented for a while
now.  It just hasn't popped up to the top of my priority list yet.

My goals with the Drupal rewrite of it will be to move file organization and
access control to be project centric rather than the client centric
organization that our existing solution has.  I'm also looking to tie it
into our ERP solution so that the project creation and what client it's tied
to is automated to a degree.

Another platform worth looking into for this sort of thing is Alfresco.
--
David