[Discuss] Is MythTV dead?

On Fri, Sep 02, 2011 at 11:20:25AM -0400, Rich Braun wrote:
> The wiki and trac sites at mythtv.org contain lots of info about bug-fixes but
> don't shed much light on when it'll all get tied together in a release.  0.24
> was a huge release with more code changes than previous one (I think twice as
> many as any prior), hence the slight loss of stability I saw, and 0.25 is
> slated to be even bigger.  The size of it is what leads me to my question, is
> there enough momentum in the project to overcome this complexity?
>
> In the meantime I guess I could revisit how I build my own front-ends.  Have
> been using the PackMan repo to install 0.24 or 0.24.1 under OpenSuSE 11.3 or
> 11.4.  I settled on OpenSuSE 11.3 with 0.24 (not the newer ones).  The
> release-notes page at mythtv.org has a list labeled "fixes applied after
> 0.24.1 released", none of which seem to apply to my setup, but may be worth
> trying.  Those of you who are happier than I am with the setup:  which base
> distro are you using (Ubuntu? Fedora? something else?), what package repo (or
> build-from-source) are you using, and what graphics-display hardware are you
> using?

My master is Mythbuntu; my frontends are all Debian Squeeze with
the debian-multimedia packages. If I were rebuilding today I
would go with Squeeze for the backend as well.

My video is NVidia VDPAU across the board. When Debian goes to a
3.0 kernel, I expect to be able to move one frontend off the
GT220 board and on to the integrated Intel graphics. Other boxes
use an integrated NVidia 8200 and a 9500 card.

My sources are an HDHR and a firewire connection to my STB. I'm
thinking about buying an HDHR Prime (cablecard) in the nearish
future to replace the firewire connection; that lowers my
monthly bill a bit.

-dsr-