[Discuss] Is MythTV dead?

On 09/04/2011 12:30 PM, James Kramer wrote:
> I am  beginning to get back it to MythTV.  I stopped after the
> networks switch to HD.  Would you recommend the HDDR over the new
> Hauppauge WinTV-DCR-2650?
>
> http://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10133
>
> I know that the HDDR supports an Ethernet connection which does sound
> nice, if solely for the cost of the cable.  What are some other
> advantages.  I  am using FIOS, do you know if Verizon blocks many of
> the copy-freely channels?

Vz legally has to offer OTA channels unencrypted.  What I found though was
that they found a way to make it completely unusable: they don't include
channel identification metadata (so a quick auto-scan doesn't help you find
NBC), and then they shuffle the unencrypted channels around often to boot
(e.g. NBC isn't on a consistent channel).

It's possible that this isn't really a policy, and I was just testing at a
time of turmoil in their head-end, but I got so fed up with it that I got a
little home-made digital antenna and hooked up my HDDR to it.  So I get my
OTA channels actually over the air.  The HD quality OTA is better than the
unencrypted FIOS channels anyway...

The nice thing about the HDDR is that it has two inputs, so you can hook up
one to an antenna and one to the FIOS feed.

BTW, I have no experience with the Hauppauge, but I love my HDDR...

HTH,
Matt