[Discuss] Cable TV fundamentals (OT)

I'd like to give a quick background- makes it easier
to understand.

Cable TV started in Denver a long time ago.

Think of the cable as you would think of "off air"
signals, except the cable signal is "contained" within the
(then completely coax ) wire.   Anywhere the wire can
go, the signal can go.  And it can be made to be
"uniformly strong" (like, you're equally near the antenna,
for the off-air analogy).

The cable systems bypassed many FCC regulations, as their
signals were "contained" in private enclosed spaces.

The wire has 3 components.

The core.  Solid condictor.  Signal rides here.

The insulator.   A plastic like material.

The outer layer (think tinfoil or screen), which
"keeps the signal in, and keeps the noise OUT".

Ok, so what was the initial design?

TV.   Broadcast.   One to many.

This is referred to as "THE FORWARD".   The signal
LEAVING the headend.

It didn't take long for businessmen to understand that
this same wire that carried the FORWARD, could also carry
the RETURN (from the consumer TO the headend).

R = RETURN = REVENUE.

But, there was a problem.  A big problem.   Since it wasn't
in the original design, the RETURN would need to be placed
in electromagnetic real estate that wasn't already claimed
by the FORWARD.   This meant below about 52MHz, right below
the carrier for analog Channel 2.

So, frequencies allocated for the return were scarce and
weak.   Prone to interference and "ingress".   Signals
which creep back into the system, especially where
junctions ("tap plates") where inadvertantly corroded
or otherwise grounded.

Your cable modem "receives" the forward signal usually
at abundant and fast electromagnetic real estate (see
192.168.100.1 for your signal type), but replies at much
mode dear, crowded and noisy places.

It matters less the modulation type (digital or analog),
and much more the electromagnetic real estate available
for the RETURN.

The RETURN must be shared by all "two way" services,
telphony,  impulse pay per view, video on demand, monitoring,
and each channel (think "ethernet") which is on every
"branch" (fiber node) from the headend.   Each branch
must aggregate the RETURN traffic from that neighborhood.

Fiber transmissions are pristine from the headend to the
place it is "stepped down" (converted) into RF signals
over coax.

the best (remaining) elsectromagnetic real estate was
used for data- from about 20-40 (?) MHz.  5-10MHz was used
for monitoring.   Poor real estate.

This is where all the discussion about LEVELS comes into
play.   You need to have enough SIGNAL so that it rides
above the noise and does the job.   SIGNAL strength,
think "volume" in a conversation, must ride above the
background chatter.

Splitting cables causes signal loss.   Usually not a huge
deal.    Amplification can overcome signal loss, but
remember, you're amplifying signal and noise.   Crappy
real estate is still crappy real estate, amplified or not.

All this ancient history is understood well by the DATA
techs.   they understand the RETURN.  Regular cable monkeys
mostly look at the FORWARD.

Poorly maintained systems will allow signal (HAM radio)
to creep back in, at spots where junctions are bad.

This will (momentarily, while mike button is down) knock
out the return signal right at around 25MHz.

The "ethernet" in your neighborhood is probably shared
by dozens, if not hundreds of other households.
Luckily for the cable operators, not all users are
online at once.

The switch from (off-air) analog to digital transmission
was primarily to recover the very valuable elecromagnetic
real estate for more important and lucrative services.
"Auctioned off" to high bidders, making revenue for the
government.

Thanks,
Jim Gasek