[Discuss] Fwd: Fwd: Windows 8, Bootloader Signing

meant to send to the list

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Greg Rundlett (freephile) <greg at freephile.com>
Date: Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 1:27 PM
Subject: Re: [Discuss] Fwd: Windows 8, Bootloader Signing
To: John Abreau <jabr at blu.org>

Is there a technical reason why this can't be made an option? Instead of
every windows 8 machine being controlled can't the user decide?  Ie. ACME
corp. decides they only run Windows and want a "secure" environment (wow
that sounds like an oxymoron) so they configure the OS to only run if the
BIOS is signed.  TopHat corp. decides they want a mixed environment;
including free and custom software.  They configure Windows to only check
itself for problems, and leave the larger scoped issues to TopHat.

Also, how does this impact virtual machines?  Does it mean that any
non-proprietary virtualization product also won't work?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_platform_virtual_machines  Won't
there be a lot of resistance to this from a lot of big technology players -
meaning it's not just the individual who is getting the shaft?