[Discuss] Verizon network issues

> From: discuss-bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org [mailto:discuss-
> bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org] On Behalf Of Ryan Pugatch
>
> Anyone noticing any issues getting to or from Verizon's network?

I am certainly experiencing a lot of "internet" in general issues lately.
For the last couple of weeks.  Many users, even some who I don't support
anymore, asking me for advice and how to deal with various network issues,
which are clearly internet in general issues.

I cannot say they're isolated to Verizon.  I have two offices that are VPN'd
together, one of them using Time Warner cable in Portland ME, and the other
using ... I forget what ... Some 100Mb fiber in Cambridge MA.  This VPN has
been constantly up and down.  The traceroute between these two sites
traverses:  cictr.com, focaldata.net, level3.net, rr.com.  So unless one of
those guys is a subsidiary of Verizon or something...  This is the clearest
demonstration that I know of, where there's a problem not involving Verizon.

It seems coincidental that about 2 weeks ago is also when kernel.org went
down.  I've been waiting for it to come back up ever since, because I want
the btrfs mailing list.  But it's rather shocking they're still down.

> Having a few problems with my users accessing some (but not all) resources
> on our network.  All are on Verizon in the Boston area.  I do not have any
> problem with the Verizon FiOS connection at home.  Posted to NANOG, have
> heard others are seeing similar issues.

The user who had a Verizon network that called with the clearest problem...
He was VPN'ing from his home in Sudbury MA to the office in Hudson MA
(practically next door) ...  Everything would be rockin solid fast one
minute, then dead slow the next minute etc.  By constantly watching the
traceroute it was clearly the bridge between two networks in NYC, jumping
from Verizon to something else.  But it seems funny, either way, that his
traffic would have to go to NYC and back.

You know, it also seems funny, that my traffic from cictr.com to rr.com
(Cambridge MA to Portland ME) is also going through NYC.