[Discuss] The America Invents Act

On 09/28/2011 02:47 PM, Shirley M?rquez D?lcey wrote:
>> If we can't
>> get people who actually understand software to agree that they are bad
>> for us (and in fact everyone), we'll never convince people who
>> understand software much less well.
>
> I had rather hoped that when Google started to be challenged on the
> patent front, that they would use their deep pockets to challenge the
> patents and the patent system in general. Instead they decided to buy
> into it by purchasing a bunch of patents. Probably a lower risk course
> of action, but also lower reward. So much for not being evil.

Not to be a google-lover, but I wouldn't give up on them yet.  It could
be just good business sense.  You can fight to change the rules of the
game, but until then, you have to play by the rules of the game.  And
Apple and M$ have been on the warpath against Android.  Patent reform
will take an unpredictable amount of time.  Google can't afford to just
stand there and say "we know we're right!" while the companies willing
to play the patent-war game eat their lunch.

Matt