[Discuss] How do I determine what hard drive screws I need?

On 09/29/2011 02:34 AM, John Abreau wrote:
> I've got an HP ProLiant DL360 G5 server, which uses 2.5-inch SAS or
> SATA drives.
> The machine had no drives in it, so I ordered a couple of drives,
> along with some
> drive trays.
>
> Neither the hard drives nor the trays came with mounting screws. How do I
> figure out what size screws I need?
>
> The drives are Seagate Momentus 750gb 2.5-inch SATA drives.

I believe the drive screws are 6-32. I've got a bunch of them. The main
things when screwing drives into into the carriers is the screw heads.
Most of the carriers fit tightly so you want flathead screws. That was
my problem, most of my drive screws are round head. They screw into the
drive with no problem, but they protrude slightly so the drive does not
slide in fully. I first ran into this at work where one system I have
can easily take round head screws, but the others need flat heads. At
the moment I probably only have a few round heads. Actually, my Penguin
came with a number of screws actually screwed into the frame for uses
like this, but it is a pain to get at them.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix