[Discuss] kernel.org

Anybody have any more information, speculation, rumors, or just random
comments to say?

Kernel.org has been down for like 3 weeks.  I know there was a security
breach, but by not getting it back up, they're basically acknowledging they
have no clue how it happened, and fear even with their best defenses up,
it's just going to be hacked again.  Doesn't that make anybody
uncomfortable, using publicly facing linux servers?  I mean, kernel.org.  If
they can't stay up, what's the rest of us to do?

I just want to hear what others have to say.  I'm frustrated because 2 days
after they went down, I tried to join and/or view the btrfs mailing lists,
only to discover I couldn't.  Here it is, weeks later, I still can't.

As an IT person, when I've got something externally facing, which represents
the reputation of the organization I'm supporting, and provides
functionality for thousands or millions of people out there, if something
like this goes down...   I enable some crazy monitoring and put it back up.
If it goes down a second time, at least I'll be well equipped to figure out
what happened a second time.  If it doesn't go down a second time, then
clearly I've already done the right thing by putting it back up.