[Discuss] more on software patent

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 9:29 AM, Kyle Leslie <fbxxkl at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
> You essentially can't have an access point with a backup power supply
> because this patent holds that.  This is my understanding of how patents
> are
> used to block other people.  Find one small thing that is similar or the
> same and say "No you can't use it or pay me money".  It literally looks as
> if someone was standing over the shoulder of the person writing the patent
> and said "Oh put that in there so you can hold the patent for it".
>
> It was always my understanding that a part of innovation was to build off
> the ideas of other people.  To take what they created and make it better.
>
> If what I am saying is totally wrong then just delete this email.. but if
> what I understand patents to be and how they work correct then how is
> anyone
> supposed to be inventive with out the penalty of cost?
>
> If a program's algorithms are able to be patented, then software is in
> trouble (from what I read it sounds like it already is). What if HTML code
> were to be patented.  You wouldn't be able to use head or title tags with
> out a fee?
>
> Please let me know if I am stating things here that are correct in theory.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kyle  (Trying to learn about Software Patents)
>
> On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 2:57 AM, John Abreau <abreauj at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > The BLU leadership has neither the interest nor the funds to support
> this.
> >

> > 2011/10/3 Hsuanyeh Chang <hsuanyeh at gmail.com>:
> > > If I have the honor, what I can offer now is to write up, in the name
> of
> > > BLU, a "request for ex parte reexamination" and get it on file in the
> > patent
> > > office in an attempt to invalidate the asserted patent(s).  But, I
> would
> > > need support from the BLU (e.g., knowledge and time to find prior art,
> > > official fees to be paid to the patent office, and other costs). Would
> > > anyone be willing to take action together?
> > >
> > > HYC on the go
> > >
> > > ? Oct 3, 2011 9:01 PM ??Matt Shields <matt at mattshields.org> ???

> http://www.1201tuesday.com/1201_tuesday/2010/10/poster-child.html

> that?

> examiner
> > application.

> is
> > on
> is

> > community or
> > trolls.
> > >>

> http://yro.slashdot.org/story/11/10/03/2236255/Patent-Troll-Says-Anyone-Using-Wi-Fi-Infringes?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Slashdot%2Fslashdot+%28Slashdot%29

> > Colocation,

> > --
> > John Abreau / Executive Director, Boston Linux & Unix
> > GnuPG KeyID: 0xD5C7B5D9 / Email: abreauj at gmail.com
> > GnuPG FP: 72 FB 39 4F 3C 3B D6 5B E0 C8 5A 6E F1 2C BE 99

Okay, I'm filing for a patent today. My idea is putting network switches in
a rack connected to a UPS both in your office or datacenter.  Also, I'd like
to add that in my patent I'll describe a method for keeping the cables neat
and organized, color coded depending on purpose and labeled which I will
call Cable Management.  Now I could say that everyone is infringing and sue.
 Forget prior art or that this is such a basic concept that has been done
for the last 30 years or so, or even that it's just plain common sense.
 Who's with me?  We'll make a fortune suing all the infringers.

Like us on Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/beantownhost>
Follow us on Twitter <https://twitter.com/#!/beantownhost>