[Discuss] more on software patent

Ok well to give you the scope of what I am looking at, here are the public
records for the Lawsuit
http://ia600700.us.archive.org/22/items/gov.uscourts.wiwd.30864/gov.uscourts.wiwd.30864.docket.html

and here is the claim of the patent which is numbered (the very last number)
of this particular patent
http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=5546397.PN.&OS=PN/5546397&RS=PN/5546397

21. The high reliability access point of claim 2 further including a back-up
power source.

If you look at the court case it doesn't say anything about which parts of
the claim they are acting on it just says they are using these exhibits .
So perhaps its a different part.  It was not meant to be a direct example in
this case but an example of what is possible from this case.

These small business' (and large ones) are being sued because they are
providing wifi internet access.  That means airlines can be sued now right
(and you and I if they so please)?  They provide wifi with internet access.
Now from the looks of it, they aren't going after residential people (I
assume because we don't profit from people connecting to our wifi).  The
thing that confuses me is that these places generally aren't charging you
for the use of the device but the internet that it distributes.  Along the
lines of what everyone else is saying (and Cisco and Motorola have come to
the defense of these companies). These people or companies should not be
paying the bill for using a device they bought a Best Buy.  If I go out and
buy Macrosoft Windows instead of Microsoft Windows but I don't know any
better Microsoft should not be able to tell me that I owe them for the
software they have patents for because I am using it.

Now in relation to software patents, I have become a recent fan of Hardware
hacking I frequent these types of sites all the time.  People are often
times coding inputs and outputs for Arduino boards and so forth.  Now in
essence if they were take these devices that they create and patent them
(which they don't so that they can stay Open Source).  I can't go back and
recreate that or do anything that the has been patented with out direct
permission from (or payment to) the holder of the patent.  Now if Arduino
has created a device that only accepts a particular piece of code and that
is held in a patent, I then lose the functionality I am looking for before I
even had a chance.

In some cases this may work, but I think my issue with the patents is where
do you stop?  There are no lines that can be drawn which creates a gapping
hole in the entire system.  In my example for the wireless AP, this person
literally added a backup power source to the the wireless ap and that can be
acted on as a patent infringment.  No person can make a "21. The high
reliability access point of claim 2 further including a back-up power
source" with out being sued.  That is a humongously broad statement because
if you look at the "Claim 2" this high reliability source is any access
point (from claim 1) is that is wired to a "host network".  Hey (insert
anything here) you are currently infringing on this patent if you have a
wireless AP with a backup power source connected to your wired network.

The worst part is this particular company isn't even the "innovator" here.
They are a company that is looking to make money simply by enforcing a
patent they acquired from Broadcom (who also wasn't the original owner).
The worst part is from the article this person is sueing as many people as
possible with low dollar amounts because it will be cheaper for them to pay
up instead of defend themselves.  That is the most disgusting part because
it shows its clearly a financial gain and absolutely zero other motive.