[Discuss] (OT) Steve Jobs 1955-2011

<snip>

> They took FreeBSD, created Darwin, got volunteers to do a lot of their
> work, then abandoned Darwin as an open source project.

Apple did not take FreeBSD to create Darwin.  Darwin was based on NeXTSTEP
which was based in part on BSD 4.3.  Apple ended up employing some early
FreeBSD devs for OS X and uses FreeBSD as their reference Unix.  While not
contributing directly in a publicly acknowledged fashion that I'm aware of
the project has benefited from their work.  Most notably doing work on
clang and working towards a BSD licensed developer tool chain.

tom

<snip>

--
| tmclaugh at sdf.lonestar.org             tmclaugh at FreeBSD.org |