[Discuss] Fotoxx (and Forth) at BLU

I agree Rich. I explored Forth back in the late 70s early 80s. Raytheon
Data System was doing a bid for one of the government agencies, and
their new 3270 emulator platform needed a high level language to
qualify. Since I had some experience with Forth on my Apple II, I was
asked to explore this, and I found a couple of resources including Dick
Miller. We ended up hiring Forth Inc, and they did a wonderful job. We
were one of the finalists, but one company underbid everyone (with a
vaporware system). One of the things that impressed us was that the
FORTH code could do IBM bisync and SNA faster than the existing emulator
code mostly written in assembler.

I was quite interested in Fotoxx. BTW: I installed it from the Fedora
repo, and it was an older release (10.11-1-8-fc15-x86_64). It contained
more than just Fotoxx itself, hence my question about printoxx which got
installed. What really impressed me was the ease of use. I've always had
trouble with this type of software before.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix