[Discuss] Virtual hosting provider (me too)

On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 8:59 AM, Edward Ned Harvey <blu at nedharvey.com> wrote:

> > From: greg.rundlett at gmail.com [mailto:greg.rundlett at gmail.com] On Behalf
> > Of Greg Rundlett (freephile)
> >
> > I find Amazon to be too complex - although I never really took it too
> far.
>  And
> > they're not inexpensive either.
>
> Complex in what regard?  I just logged in, clicked on create instance,
> answered a couple of questions about which OS I want to run, and voila, I
> have a VM instance that is free (for the first year) and $7/mo thereafter,
> which is comparably spec'd to the $20 system from linode you mentioned in
> the preceding paragraph.  The only complexity I would say I had was...
> Aware that certain instance types use persistent storage, and others don't.
> So I selected the checkbox for persistent storage.  And the only supported
> authentication mechanism is ssh keys, so I can't be clueless about ssh keys
> in order to use the system.
>
> Perhaps when you need to grow out larger than what's included in the
> default
> instance - more cpus ram or disk - perhaps that's complexity you're talking
> about?  Or you don't like the variable pricing, prefer simpler flat-rate
> pricing?

When I used AWS was when it was new - which meant it was complex because
you had to come up to speed with stuff that was brand new.  And most
recently over a year ago by which time they had a full suite of products
and services to mix and match.  I like to know how stuff works (underneath)
and that's one reason why I love GNU software... I get to see how it works.
 I don't like clicking buttons to make things work.  For Amazon, it always
seemed like they had a new product or new add-on every week.  I didn't want
to have to figure out what was the best model or strategy for assembling
those pieces.  Putting it another way, I'm not a big fan of "control
panels" for hosting like webmin and later iterations on that concept.  They
DO make it easy, but I'd rather be closer to the actual machinery.

Greg Rundlett
my public PGP key<http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x5E07A26B877CEBF6>