[Discuss] Need logging help

I've got a SuSE v10 server on which I'm running sshd. The sftp subsystem is
loaded by the ssh daemon. I'd like to log the file transfer activities of
each user but I've been unable to figure out how.

According to the man page for sshd_config, I can set the logging level by
un-commenting the line loglevel and adding one of many available values. I
tried a few (INFO, DEBUG, VERBOSE) but this didn't provide any additional
sftp logging.

I've found references online suggesting that I can append switches (see
below) to the subsystem call in sshd_config but that prevents sshd from
starting (Starting SSH daemon/etc/ssh/sshd_config line 112: garbage at end
of line; "-f".). It also fails if i remove -f AUTH (Starting SSH
daemon/etc/ssh/sshd_config line 112: garbage at end of line; "-l".).
Here's the line from sshd_config:
Subsystem       sftp    /usr/lib/ssh/sftp-server -f AUTH -l VERBOSE

I haven't been able to figure out if there's something different about this
version of sshd / sftp-server I'm running or if I'm going about it wrong.
If I can make my existing environment work, I'd rather do that then update
/ upgrade.

Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated.
Scott