[Discuss] MythTV: from bad to worse. Start over?

On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 3:01 PM, Gregory Boyce <gboyce at badbelly.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 2:51 PM, Derek Martin <invalid at pizzashack.org> wrote:

>>> TiVo won't do everything he wants. He also wants to be able to play
>>> his backups of DVDs; TiVo won't do that.
>>

>> Sure it will. ?You can use TiVo Desktop to copy the backups back to
>> TiVo. ?They do need to be in a supported format, so you may need to
>> transcode them, and yes you do need to copy them, but it can be done.
>
> pyTivo. ?It will serve the files to your Tivo, transcoding your
> content on the fly.
>
> http://pytivo.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/PyTivo

I used PyTivo for many years and loved it.  The only draw back is my
server is an old P4 so it took awhile to transfer enough of the the
show to fast forward.  It could play anything ffmpeg could re-encode
so it handled everything I threw at it. I never used the metadata
features because I was too lazy to populate it.  And I don't recall it
having the TivoGo features in the version I used.  But then I think I
downloaded a copy 5 years ago, added some daemon options and never
touched it again.

I really do miss my Tivo.  I used MythTV for a couple of years before
moving over to the tivo because of hardware issues and I was tired of
"fixing" things all the time.  I had Tivo for close to 5 years before
dropping Cable and picking up U-Verse which is ok but I still liked
the Tivo a lot more. I think they own the patent on pretty DVR
interfaces because no one else seems to be able to copy them.