[Discuss] Backing up LVM partitions using snapshots

On 12/14/2011 2:21 PM, Matt Shields wrote:
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought differentials are a backup of all
> things that have changed since the last full.  Incrementals are changes
> since the last incremental, differential or full, whichever happened last.

This is correct.  Keep in mind that Mark's method includes directory
metadata blocks.  If I create a file then the directory blocks for all
of the files in that directory will be marked changed along with the
file data blocks.  This is what complicates things.  LVM doesn't know
the difference between file data blocks and file metadata blocks.  It's
just blocks to LVM.