[Discuss] Education - becoming a Cluster Administrator

On 12/22/2011 11:52 AM, David Miller wrote:
> In any case there are some things that you should learn regardless of
> the type of cluster when dealing with multiple *nix machines.  You'll
> need to learn something like Puppet or Chef to manage configurations,

This is not necessarily the case.  It depends on the nature of the
cluster and how you deploy software across it.  Something like this is
unnecessary for a 3-node Veritas or Red Hat cluster.  It may or may not
be useful in a Condor pool.  It likely is mandatory for a large Beowulf.

I've worked with two of these types of clusters, so feel free to pick my
brane as you like.

--
Rich P.