[Discuss] (actually Unison)

On Dec 22, 2011, at 2:48 PM, Bill Bogstad wrote:

> I've looked at Unison in the past but was somewhat put off by its
> "lack of development" status and the fact that it was developed in
> Objective Caml.   I'm still using home-grown rsync scripts for my
> personal files which requires too much manual intervention to work
> well.

This does not surprise me.  rsync is one-way.  It can't do bidirectional sync.  Some have tried to make it work, but it doesn't, not really, as you've discovered the hard way.  Thing is, Unison is unique.  Most everything else that I've looked at is local-local.  The exceptions are still brute-force, copying entire files when they detect changes.  Unison is the only one I've seen that is OS-agnostic and intelligently synchronizes just the changed bits of large files.

--Rich P.