[Discuss] Unable to partition a new drive = death?

On Dec 30, 2011, at 11:58 PM, Doug wrote:

> I have been trying to format a Western Digital 2TB drive purchased
> from TigerDirect in March of this year. I have yet to use it to do
> anything, jobs, family and research being what they are. I have a SATA
> enclosure, but the MacOS disk utility on 2 machines refused to do

I suspect that Ed is on the right track, that the enclosure doesn't work properly with 2TB drives or specifically with these drives.  These are Caviar Green disks which means they have that dodgy Caviar Green disk power management.  That could be causing conflicts.  Try using a different enclosure or a SATA to USB bridge, or use different disks in the enclosure.  Try to narrow down where the fault lies.

--Rich P.