[Discuss] D-I-Y NAS enclosures

Benjamin Carr wrote:
> I am personally enamored of the HP Proliant Microserver... It has
> a 64bit AMD Athlon II Neo processor, two DIMM slots (supports ECC), one
> gigabit NIC, a four drive cage (not hot-swap)...
> It is $330 from NewEgg with a "throw away" 250GB drive and 1GB of Ram. I
> wish they would sell it "bare" for $50 less but the don't.

Did that come loaded with Windows Home Server?

I see HP went on to produce an Atom version with 2GB Memory and 1TB HD:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16859105777

I looked it up for comparison when I recently ran across Acer's product
in this space:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16859321016

a smaller 8.5" x 8" x 7" cube with a 2 TB drive. (Plus 5 USB and 1 eSATA
ports.) Currently selling for $260. Possibly discounted due to being
loaded with an obsolete version of Windows Home Server.

(I wonder how much the "windows tax" is on this server and what a bare
bones version without the OS and drive would sell for.)

My biggest concern with these NAS boxes is whether the motherboards are
proprietary and if you'd be stuck if it died.

Seems like a good deal, if the included drive is useful to you.
According to camelegg.com, it is on a downward price trend, so it may be
discounted further:
http://camelegg.com/product/N82E16859321016?utm_campaign=firefox_ext&utm_source=product_link_ttp&utm_medium=www

 -Tom

--