[Discuss] Least worst Internet Service Provider in Somerville

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 07:20:31AM -0500, Glenn Hoffman wrote:
> Some neighbors of mine are looking for the least worst ISP in
> Somerville. I use Speakeasy, which would not be appropriate for them.
> Any thoughts?

As others have mentioned, it's Comcast/RCN for cable modems, Verizon and
various resellers for DSL, and you can also get 4G service from Verizon
and Clear and probably others.

I have a friend with the Clear 4G, and he's generally happy with it. You
can use their website to find their antenna locations and make a guess
about how good your service will be.

http://www.clear.com/coverage

I have an RCN cable modem. The service has been reliable, and the price
is good: $30/month for 20 Mbit down/2 up service. You can call and get
better/different deals than are available via their website in my
experience. Their plans have awful upload speeds, and I've never
actually seen 2 Mbits/sec up, but I'm not sure Comcast is much better,
and residential DSL is comparable or worse.

There's no FiOS in Somerville.

-ben

--
i plead alignment to the flakes of the untitled snakes of a merry cow,
and to the republicans for which they scam - one nacho, underpants, with